This common English idiom means that you are doing something ‘just in case’ and refers vaguely to the possibility that a thing might happen or be true, without saying exactly what it is but that you are taking preventative measures to avoid such a possibility. -I don't think I'll need any money but I'll bring some just in case. -Bring a map in case you get lost. -The forecast didn't mention rain but I'm going to take an umbrella just in case. Is there a Latin idiom or a good translation that members of the forum can suggest to match this English expression? Perhaps something on the lines of ‘ut omnia provideam’or ‘ne quid improvisi accidat’. However. I would appreciate any alternative or better translations.

Have you found it? I'm trying to find out thas for years. Anyway, there's a similar question about "in case of" the answers are pretty good.
    – user11898
    Commented Feb 9, 2023 at 19:31
    At present, Manuel, I can find no better suggestions than the two I have suggested above, of which I now prefer ‘ ne quid improvisi accidat’. Commented Feb 11, 2023 at 14:54

1 Answer 1

We can use the conjunction "si" "In case of war" "Si quod extremum bellum exsitat"

I think the reason you got a couple downvotes (although I didn't vote myself yet) is because it's a pretty barebones answers. Do you think you could flesh this answer out a bit more, especially explaining why Latin would prefer a conditional instead of the adverbial "just in case"? I think you're on the right track, personally, but more explanation would be helpful to others evaluating this answer.
    – cmw
    Commented Mar 10 at 14:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.