I've looked at multiple translators but unfortunately they've mostly contradicted each other so I don't know if Her Regalis Celsitudinem Princeps Barbie is correct??

1 Answer 1

I don't know if Her Regalis Celsitudinem Princeps Barbie

Well, “Her” is obviously not Latin and the cases are a little wonky; however, I think that the most difficult part of the question is how to render the title “Highness” in Latin, and celsitudo appears to be the correct answer; or at least this title has been historically used for people that in English would be called “Highness” (e.g. by Calvin writing to Nikolaus Radziwill the Red).

Using Sua for “Her” and correcting the wrong accusative, we get:

Sua Regalis Celsitudo Princeps Barbie

I would, however, suggest a few possible changes:

• Instead of Regalis you could say Regia. Both forms (in combination with Celsitudo) are found in Neo-Latin writings. Both are completely acceptable, but I would personally prefer regia.
  • Instead of princeps, you could use the explicitly female form principissa. With this obvious back-translation we leave all pretensions to Classical Latin behind, but Classical suggestions are usually something like princeps femina, virgo regia, regis filia, etc.; not simply saying princeps for a woman (although it can technically be parsed as a feminine adjective). However, we are translating a decidedly non-Roman style, so I would have no problem with a Neo-Latin term like principissa.
  • You could Latinize “Barbie” as Barbara – this is obviously up to personal taste.

Thus my preferred form would be:

Sua Regia Celsitudo Principissa Barbara

Is the reflexive expected in this context in Latin? I've noticed modern languages with reflexive possessive pronouns seem to prefer to translate the phrase "his/her highness" to non-reflexive possessive pronouns in general, unless there's a specific grammatical context requiring it ("she picked up her highness from the ground").
    – Agnes
    Nov 9, 2022 at 10:40
  • @Agnes If you look on Google Books, you will find that both forms were in actual historical use, i.e. Sua Celsitudo (Maiestas, etc.) as well as Eius Celsitudo. I'm not sure what modern languages you have in mind, but I would in any event judge this from an inner-Latin point of view. So if the princeps in question is the subject, use sua, otherwise eius. Or don't you think Eius Celsitudo, Serenissimus Princeps Austriae, veniet sounds weird and prompts the question cuius? But admittedly, Sua Celsitudo veniet could be translated as "Its own Highness will come." Nov 10, 2022 at 7:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.