If I am correct, the adjective derived from the last name of Albert Einstein is “einsteinianus, -a, -um” (it is similar in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese).

I know that the suffix is “-ānus” but how to deal with the germanic part root? In German, the pronunciation is /ˈaɪnʃtaɪn/ with the first syllable being stressed, if this is somehow helpful.

• Beyond changing the ending as a concession to grammar, I don't think there's any reason to pronounce it differently to the German. The sounds are not that alien to Latin (compared to, say, a tonal language like Mandarin), and anything else would just cause confusion for (to my mind) no obvious benefit. Unless you're writing a story in which Einstein goes back in time and the Romans Romanize his name, I suppose...
    – dbmag9
    Sep 28, 2022 at 9:00
  • I don't want to change the name at all, I am just asking if I should write einsteiniānus or ēinsteiniānus or something else to keep the German pronunciation. Since, IIRC, the ei diphthong does not exist in Classical Latin
    – user11587
    Sep 28, 2022 at 9:04
    I see; I don't think of macrons as part of the language (this is not an opinion I will defend, just a product of my own education) so this feels like a non-issue to me. Or are you putting the word into verse?
    – dbmag9
    Sep 28, 2022 at 9:17
  • I usually learn macrons along with the words, and I came across this one while reading Wikipedia in Latin. If I ever write poetry, I'll be glad to know the vowel quantities (like you I don't argue, it's just how I do it)
    – user11587
    Sep 28, 2022 at 9:21
    For a poetic form you might want to adopt einstinianus. The opening dactyl is more tractable and the shortening of a stressed second syllable is not unheard of (though I’ll leave it to the learned to cite examples). Sep 29, 2022 at 14:56

1 Answer 1

Latin did have the ei diphthong, even if it was relatively rare.

If Latin is borrowing this from a written source and it stays as it is, I don't see why they would have a problem in borrowing over the diphthongs as well.

If it had come from an oral source and allowed to develop over time, perhaps the diphthongs would have been collapsed into a long I, or maybe some other forces would have altered the pronunciation, but as it stands now, there's nothing wrong with two diphthongs, a short I, and the accent falling on the long A.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.