I am finding some conflicting information about the word furo. According to Lewis and Short, it only means furo/furere, a defective 3rd conjugation word meaning to be in a rage. In L&S, only furor (steal) is found as a deponent verb.

However, in some online dictionaries, it says that furo/furare is not a deponent verb but is transitive and means to steal, hide/conceal or escape, and has passive forms (for example, furatur = he is hidden).

Is this a case where L&S is referring only to classical Latin, and the online dictionaries have medieval forms or what?

1 Answer 1

There are two verbs here: fūrārī, fūror and furere, furō. There is no verb furare in classical Latin as far as I can tell.

We have a nice list of good online Latin dictionaries, and I recommend you use them (or some of the top entries there) instead of the one you link to. The list also includes the comparative tool Logeion, and it tells you that no dictionary within it knows about a verb furare, furo. Not all online sources are reliable, and some sources should be dismissed for that reason.

The verb furari seems to mean "to steal" and similar things.

The verb furere seems to mean "to rage" and similar things.

I don't know where the proposed meanings for furare come from. Perhaps it is a merger of furari, fugere, and something else. Perhaps it is a later usage — but if it was common in later Latin, I would expect the print dictionaries I own to mention it and they don't. Wiktionary hasn't heard of such a word either. I would simply dismiss that entry, and therefore I would stop trusting that website.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.