What would be the appropriate suffix to add to a word to say that it resembles the noun? In English, we have the example of "Roguelike" (or Rogue-like), which is a style of video game. It's a substantive that tells you the game is like a particular style of gameplay.

For a Latin example, say there's a thing that resembles a rock and you want to say it's rock-like. Could you add -similis to saxum to have something like saxisimilis? Is there a better suffix or another way to express this?

2 Answers 2

Despite verisimilis (which Lewis and Short note should be separated), I would instead recommend going the Greek route using -ειδής suffix. This means "in the shape or form of" and can be used for things that are similar to but distinct from the original object.

Two examples:

• ἀνηθοειδής "like dill" (not dill, but similar to it)
  • ἑλικοειδής "in the shape of a spiral"

I don't believe it's a productive suffix in Latin, but theoretically you could generate a learned coinage like κλεπτοειδής (cleptoides, 'like a thief') with it. Beware, though, κακοειδής (cacoides, 'like a bad person/thing') is already a word, though since it's a hapax legomenon, it should be easy to borrow with a slightly different meaning.

You can translate Rogue-like, though, since Rogue is a proper noun (i.e. Rogue-likes are games in the gameplay style of Rogue).

Fortunately for your other example we do have a Greek word for "rock-like": λιθοειδής. It's also safely attested, found in Plato of all people (and a couple other places). It would be Latinized into lithoides (which doubles as a scientific Latin name given to a species of catfish, among other species).

Appendicitis is an inflammation of the processus vermiformis, the appendix in the shape of a worm.

A search for words that end in -formis in L&S yields 20 results. Some of these have numbers: biformis, quadriformis, septiformis, multiformis.

There are two that actually translate to having the form of ...:

caniformis (having the form of a dog)

tauriformis (bullshaped).

Strangely, vermiformis is not among them.

By analogy, in the form of a rock might be saxiformis, but I have only found this on marinespecies.org.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.