I'm indecisive as to what title to chose for a novel I finished writing. I went for a pseudo-Latin title : "Apex Fantasia" as it is a fantasy novel. But I still wonder if I can find alternatives that sound more right, and I'm not sure of the meaning of "Fantasia" or even if it is a real classical Latin word to begin with.

I think your question would be helped by explaining what the title is supposed to mean!
    – Cerberus
    Jun 30 at 0:28

1 Answer 1

Fantasia is Italian, not Latin, though you happen to be in luck, for the Latin is spelled phantasia, and it has two distinct meanings:

I.an idea, notion, fancy (post-Aug.): “Nicetas longe disertius hanc phantasiam movit,” Sen. Suas. 2, 15: “cor tuum phantasias patitur,” Vulg. Ecclus. 34, 6.—As a term of reproach: phantasia, non homo, a mere notion or fancy, the mere semblance of a man, Petr. 38 fin. (in Cic. Ac. 1, 11, 40; 2, 6, 8 al., written as Greek, and translated visum).—
II. A phantom, apparition: “(animus) colligit visa nocturna, quas phantasias nos adpellamus,” Amm. 14, 11, 18.

Unlike in English, apex is not an adjective (apex predator, for example, is non-sense in Latin). I don't know what you're trying to say with that title, but it's not grammatical as it stands. Other potential options include summus, primus, or optimus, depending on what nuances you're trying to get across.

Though, I wouldn't be surprised to see fantasia as a variant spelling (albeit probably post-Classical).
    – Draconis
    Jun 30 at 5:36
    It might be worth stating explicitly something hidden in the L&S entry: phantasia (along with phantasma) is a loan-word from Greek, and has very few, post-Augustinian citations. The Cicero citation is of the Greek word, in fact, and is translated into Latin.
    – brianpck
    Jul 1 at 1:33
  • @brianpck Check the TLL, which lists many more sources! [Have to run, will expand on this later.]
    – cmw
    Jul 1 at 17:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.