I had a professor in university who told us that there is a latin expression that sounds something "Exa gratium" - meaning "chosen from a (horse) stable", referring to something (e.g. a horse) being chosen arbitrarily from some set of objects.

Does anyone know of such an expression?

Thanks!

1 Answer 1

I don't know of any expression that sounds like that, but I did come across a Medieval Latin word catabulum (from the Greek κατάβολος), which apparently does mean "sty/animal enclosure." (You'll also see the word spelled captabulum.)

From there, you could potentially get:

ex catabulo, from the sty

If you squint, it kind of sounds like exa gratio (same number of syllables, at least; declined properly—the preposition ex takes an ablative, so it would end in -o).

Via Google I found it in a Medieval martyr text—vidua suscepit a catabolo B. Virum Marcellum—but it doesn't seem to mean quite what your professor said it should, so this might just be coincidental.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.