Lambdadelta is a character from the 2 Japanese anime/manga/VN series Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni (When The Cicadas Cry) and Umineko No Naku Koro Ni (When The Seagulls Cry).

There's this Umineko arc Memoirs of the ΛΔ. So in symbols 'Lambdadelta' is really ΛΔ instead of λδ, Λδ and λΔ? Well I guess the other option would be Λδ but probably not λδ or λΔ since I guess the lambda has to be capital.

Edit: Actually there's a spoilerous reason why the name 'Lambdadelta' is associated with the numbers 3 (or 30), 4 and 34. I read somewhere that if this is the case then we should keep both symbols capital. Any source possibly to confirm (or disprove) this?

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Why would it be uppercase or lowercase? That's not really a language thing, but solely down to style and aesthetic preference. Similarly, the network ABC's logo is all lowercase, but NBC's is all uppercase.
    – cmw
    May 22 at 15:08
    If it's their name, then you would spell it out like any other name: Lambdadelta. It's a fictional name, though. Go with the author's representation.
    – cmw
    May 22 at 16:25
    In the light of the comments and votes, I'll have to close this question as unclear. It can be reopened once you edit to clarify what it is that someone familiar with Greek or Latin but not the fictional character could give you.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    May 23 at 7:57
    "The Witch of Certainty, who has lived for a thousand years." ← cute, but, I'm afraid, not old enough for Ancient Greek by a lot ;-) May 23 at 19:29
    To stir up the apophenia, the transpose, Δλ, Delta-lambda, is a finite increment to the quantity λ, the number 30 in Greek. May 24 at 22:28

2 Answers 2

In the traditional Greek number system, ΛΔ' indicates the number 34. These numerals are traditionally written in uppercase in modern usage; they're not especially common, but are still used for aesthetic in some cases, somewhat like Roman numerals are in English.

• Thanks Draconis♦! I found the same answer on reddit. I posted it just now.
    – BCLC
    May 27 at 11:26

Same answer as Draconis♦ found in reddit:

Ancient and Modern greek numerals use capital letters, if you want to keep the 34 connection you have to use them capitalized.

(Or just use the lowercase letters and claim that R07 used the Byzantine numerals, but I'd consider that less probable)

(...) You treat them as 30 and 4.

The source I used is in french, but here it is.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.