There is a footnote (45-35) in (Milman's 1845) Gibbon that looks like this:

See Brenkman, Dissert. Ima de Republicâ Amalphitanâ, pp.1-42, ad calcem Hist. Pandect. Florent.

I have not been able to decipher the Ima. I've found a couple of books that detail many of the Latin superscript abbreviations, but I haven't been able to find ma (or Ima) in those references. I've also found the source document (Historia pandectarum Florentinorum), and the De Republica Amalphitana at the end of it, but I see nothing in the title, etc. that would fit Ima, either.

Technically, I don't even know that it's Latin, but given that it's referring to a Latin dissertation in a Latin book, I'm assuming it is. I just haven't been able to track it down.

Any ideas?

1 Answer 1

Prima (first). It’s a combination of a Roman numeral plus termination so you know what case/number it’s in.

The work referred to is here: http://dl.ub.uni-freiburg.de/diglit/brenkman1722/0489?sid=9f9dfd87b9bce3f41dae32f8d171b2a9

It’s titled “Gemina Dissertatio”, meaning “twin dissertations” or “two-fold dissertation.” The one about Amalfi is the first (prima) of the two parts.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.