3 Answers 3

It's helpful to give a vocabulary for parks, since there are many kinds of parks.

Park vocabulary:

1. hortus, horti ("garden") can refer to a park. A hortus is often enclosed, sometimes by colonnades.
  2. paradisus, paradisi can refer to a park or an orchard.
  3. campus, campi can refer to an open field.
  4. silva, silvae refers to a forest.

I think it's appropriate to use hortus, horti to describe the parks seen in your images, since these images depict city gardens.

For how much I know of english, in the photo it's a "square", not a "park". Though a square may have fountains and trees, it doesn't make it a park, and certainly, in the photo, it's a square, not a park. Quicherat, for "place - espace libre entouré de maisons" (ie open space surrounded by buildings), gives "plătĕa". In the photo, we have a "platea".

The English “park” derives, via French, from late Latin particus, “enclosed cultivated space”, attested since the 8th century. It might also serve your purposes, assuming you are not too fussy as far as latinitas is concerned.

• Your approach would be unadvisable enough if this etymology was correct but the word barely attesed; but this etymology is surely incorrect while the word is not attested - pundbrech refers to the animal pound. It isn't in Niermeyer either. Apr 15, 2022 at 0:00
  • @Unbrutal_Russian. There are better sources than wiktionary. I have consulted CNRTL and DWDS.
    – fdb
    Apr 15, 2022 at 13:43
  • I'm not sure how this is possible. CNRTL correctly gives the same etymology as wiktionary. DWDS doesn't say anything on the origin of the Latin word. Wiktionary uses these sources and more in giving its etymologies; they're more detailed when it comes to individual language histories, but not more factually correct. Apr 15, 2022 at 17:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.