I would like to have something inscribed with this phrase, but in Latin:

"Be still and listen, the earth is singing"

• Oh, thank you so very much for your invaluable help, and such informative answers. I am very much in awe of your knowledge...I did manage to attain an 'O' level in Latin but that was more than forty years ago. In the intervening years a lot of water has flowed under that particular bridge and washed away pretty much everything I ever knew! Commented Mar 8, 2022 at 20:55

2 Answers 2

I'd offer something like this:

Sileamus atque audiamus, terra enim canit.

Let us be quiet and listen, for the earth is singing.

You can opt for sile/silete and audi/audite if you prefer direct commands, but I think an exhortation sounds better, and includes the speaker in the command as well.

Latin mottoes are free to ignore conjunctions (enim, "for"), but in a complete sentence like this, it's preferable to include one.

I chose silere over tacere, since the former is "stronger than" the latter, according to Lewis and Short. It's more than just a "be quiet", but "be still." It's a very subtle difference in nuance, and one that I believe isn't always held up in practice.

I also chose canere over cantare, since the former is explicitly used of animals singing (and the Platonic spheres).

“Tacē et audī, Terra cantat.”

Or, if addressing several people rather than one:

“Tacēte et audīte, Terra cantat.”

Alternatively, use silē /silēte instead of tacē / tacēte. Tacē is more about not speaking, while silē would be more about not making sounds in general, which includes speaking, but isn't limited to it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.