I was recently applying my new Koine Greek studies on pronouncing the first 5 verses in John’s Gospel. I am reading “Learn to Read New Testament Greek” by David Alan Black. I also have another Greek grammar. I’ve quoted all 5 verses slowly and when it came to the word “logos” transliterated “Word” in English, I pronounced it as “Logeos”. Instead of pronouncing it as “logos”.

Q: In terms of the Koine Pronunciation & NOT the erasmian pronunciation, which is the proper way to say it?

“Logeos” or “Logos” ?

What would lead you to think it's pronounced "logeos"?
    – cmw
    Feb 25, 2022 at 6:12
  • @cmw From my Greek grammar, so far as I ascertained the pronunciation of the single words in Greek, I got “l-oa-ge-o-ss”. Of course I’m a new learner with Greek; so it most likely can be understood as a mistake. I’m not certain.
    – Cork88
    Feb 25, 2022 at 6:31
    Is the "e" in "logeos" supposed to mark a soft pronounciation of the "g" or a vowel "e"?
    – Agnes
    Feb 25, 2022 at 11:12
  • @Agnes According to my other Grammar, John D. Schwandt, he says Gamma is pronounced “Softer than English g, similar to a gargling sound. If pronounced with a front vowel sound, it is like English y in “yet”. “. I think maybe I misunderstood the “ge” sound with the difference of the guttural “g” sound?
    – Cork88
    Feb 25, 2022 at 16:28

1 Answer 1

According to the Wikipedia page on Koine Greek phonology, which accords with what I've read in more scholarly sources, λόγος in the popular speech of around the first century CE was pronounced /'logos/.

The article you linked says that "[b]y the 1st century the voiced consonants β and γ became fricatives /β/ and /ɣ/" (though I don't agree there's good evidence for that and I think you're probably right).
    – Cairnarvon
    Feb 26, 2022 at 1:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.