Consider the indirect command "He ordered them to do it," translated as Imperavit eis ut id facerent. The subordinate verb is in the imperfect subjunctive because the main verb is perfect.

Now if I want to use this clause in the indirect question "I don't know whether he ordered them to do it," which of these should I use:

• Nescio num imperaverit eis ut id facerent (sequence determined by verb to which it is immediately subordinate, which is perfect (albeit subjunctive))
  • Nescio num imperaverit eis ut id faciant (sequence determined by main verb, which is present)

Which is correct? The answers to this question suggest the first (facerent) is correct. I think the difficulty here is that I don't usually see the sequence being determined by the tense of a verb that is in the subjunctive, since it doesn't indicate absolute time.

In my view, this question is a duplicate, because the linked question gives the answer and also explains the logic for the shifting sequence.
    – cnread
    Jan 25, 2022 at 17:41
    Closing for now as a duplicate. We can re-open this if we get additional clarification on how the other question doesn't answer this one.
    – cmw
    Jan 25, 2022 at 18:57

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.