I am starting to read the "Novellae" in the Corpus Iuris Civilis and this sentence from the first one is confusing to read: 'et Tzanī nunc prīmum sub Rōmānōrum factī rēpublicā inter subiectōs habeantur'. It seems like "factī" here is in the genitive, but can't seem to understand it here. Not sure if hyperbaton is at play here.

1 Answer 1

In this case, facti is nominative plural, agreeing with Tzani, not genitive singular. You're right that the word order is a little strange, especially since Romanorum is separated from republica.

Here's a literal translation (including the quatenus that appears earlier in the sentence):

[...seeing that] the Tzani, having come to be under the republic of the Romans now for the first time, are regarded among [our] subjects...

A couple notes:

• Facti is the past participle of facio. The passive of facio is often used in a special way to mean "become" or "come to be."
  • Habeo often means to "hold/regard" someone in a certain light.
    See, that is what I thought at first, but then in the next sentence I see quod and I thought then it referred to a 'factum' the noun, perhaps I glossed over that word's conjunctive senses. :P Jan 4, 2022 at 2:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.