I'm trying to translate the phrase 'drained of' in Latin, for example in the sentence 'I have been drained of all my energy'. All of the words for draining which I have found work more in the sense of 'all of my energy has been drained from me', with the thing which is being drained as the object of the verb. Is there a construction for 'to drain someone of something' with 'someone' being the direct object of the verb?

Not sure I understand, but does exuo work in the right order for you? what examples did not work?. in L&S dictioanry many examples are to be found with the accusative as the direct object that from him something (in the ablative) is taken. like hostem armis
    – d_e
    Dec 31, 2021 at 15:06
  • I think 'exuo' could work, thank you. I was thinking originally of words like 'exhaurio' and 'perhaurio'.
    – outisnemo
    Dec 31, 2021 at 15:27
    yes. I think there are better fits than exuo as I sense to drain has some little different nuances.
    – d_e
    Dec 31, 2021 at 16:31

1 Answer 1

Well, since you describe a state of exhaustion, you can of course use exhaurire:

Omnes vires meae exhaustae sunt.

Perhaps a dative of disadvantage might also sound good, i.e. omnes vires mihi exhaustae sunt; depending on context, an abl. abs. would also be possible (e.g. omnibus viribus exhaustis languidus noctem exegi etc).

Another possibility would be privare or spoliare, where the latter also exists in the (perhaps more attractive) forms despoliare and exspoliare; e.g.

omni vi (vel omnibus viribus) corporis animique exspoliatus sum

These also satisfy your wish for a construction where the affected person is the direct object of the verb.

• Is 'omnibus viribus' dative or ablative in your example with 'exspoliare'?
    – outisnemo
    Jan 1, 2022 at 16:29
    @outisnemo Ablative. Jan 1, 2022 at 16:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.