This record is from The Cartulary of Newnham Priory, transcribing a record from 1166. Simon [II] de Beauchamp granted whole churches and fractions of other tithes to Newnham priory. Here is how it was written:

Concessi eciam eis has decimas, scilicet duas partes decimarum in molendinis et pannagiis et in ceteris dominiorum de Stotfolde, de Hagenes, de Kaishoo, de Lincelade, de Euersholt, de Hunesdone, de Puttenho, de Calworth', de Asple, de toto feodo meo in Holewelle.

This must have been a precisely-understood account, because it's a valuable gift. Elsewhere the priory records gifts down to the farthing. But various modern interpretations of this text online and in print quote differing fractions for the gift. Here's a straight google translation:

I have also granted to them these tithes, namely, two parts of tithes in mills and pannages and in the other lordships of Stotfold, of Hages, of Kaishoo, of Lincelade, of Euersholt, of Hunesdon, of Puttenho, of Calworth, of Asple, for all my fee in Holwelle.

But google also translates scilicet duas partes decimarum in molendinis et pannagiis as namely two-thirds of the tithes in mills and pannages. And also translates duas partes decimarum as two-tenths.

My understanding is that the tithe in mills and pannage should be one tenth of the total produce. So two thirds of that would be 6.67% of the total produce. Or two tenths would be 2% of the total produce. This must be a precise definition, but just what is the number, please?

"Concessieciam" -- this should perhaps be "Concessi etiam"? Nov 23 '21 at 21:02
    Apologies, that was my mistake. The published text reads "Concessi eciam". I edited the question.
    – emrys57
    Nov 24 '21 at 9:07

As Allen & Greenough 135e explains,

When the denominator is one greater than the numerator, only the numerator is given.

duae partēs two-thirds

trēs partēs three-fourths, etc.

So, duas partes means two-thirds.

Thank you very much, that sems to be completely clear.
    – emrys57
    Nov 24 '21 at 9:11

A bit modified because the verb was weird:

Concessi etiam eis has decimas, scilicet duas partes decimarum in molendinis et pannagiis et in ceteris dominiorum de Stotfolde [...]

Translation:

And I granted to them these tithes, namely two parts of tithes as mill-houses and as privileges of feeding swine in the woods and as others of ownership of Stotfolde ...

It seems that the formula duas partes decimarum means "two-thirds of the tithes". See, for example, Eyton (1860) p. 271.

Eyton, R. W. (1860) Antiquities of Shropshire, Vol. 11. London: J.R. Smith. https://books.google.fi/books?id=t01NAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA271

Sorry, I had a typo. Corrected in the question. I have a habit of making life harder than it needs to be... Thanks for your help!
    – emrys57
    Nov 24 '21 at 9:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.