M. J. Toswell, Today's Medieval University p. 24 claims a new master

would eat at the commensa, the joint table, after his commencement ceremony of stepping upward

Does the English word "commence" derive from a Latin word commensa < con + mensa (together at table)? Commensa ∄ in Lewis & Short.

This sounds like folk etymology to me. I'm not aware of any word *commensa, and the formation looks odd: prepositional prefixes aren't as common on nouns, and surely "together-table" would be expressed with an adjective? If anything I'd expect a verb *commensāre, "sit at a table together".

The etymology I'm familiar with says "commence" comes from something like *com-initiāre "begin together": compare Italian cominciare, Spanish comenzar.

There is a medieval Latin word commensalis (someone having meals with someone else), survived in the modern Italian word commensale. I would doubt it has anything to do with commence though. Oct 20 at 11:07
    @DenisNardin "commensal" even exists in English, though it's rare/technical.
    – hobbs
    Oct 20 at 13:41
  • And there is commensalism link: a long-term biological interaction (symbiosis) in which members of one species gain benefits while those of the other species neither benefit nor are harmed. Oct 20 at 16:00
  • @hobbs Does that come from mens (mind), mensus (measurement), mensa (table), or mensis (month)‽
    – Geremia
    Oct 20 at 18:03
  • @Geremia mensa, I believe. It's the adjectival form of the "commensalism" that JobRozemond just mentioned.
    – hobbs
    Oct 20 at 18:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.