Plain language is writing designed to ensure the reader understands as quickly, easily, and completely as possible. Robert Leon Cooper (1989). Language Planning and Social Change. Cambridge University Press.

Plain language is particularly developed in English (it is then called Plain English) and many resources exist, even an American governmental site.

Is there anything similar in Latin? Some of the advice on the English sites can be applied without modification to Latin (use common words, avoid long sentences, etc.), but I think there are specifics to Latin prose. Therefore I was wondering if there was a composition manual that focuses on clear, understandable Latin rather than imitating some ancient author.

Edit. I was thinking understandable to someone who reads Latin fluently, but such a style would probably be useful to learners.

• Perhaps a helpful clarification: By "understandable Latin," do you mean Latin that is easily understandable to a Latin-learner, or to someone who speaks and writes Latin proficiently?
    – brianpck
    Sep 27 '21 at 12:50
  • That's a good question. I was thinking more of someone who reads Latin fluently, but such a style would probably be useful to those who are learning
    – user10176
    Sep 27 '21 at 12:53
    There were literally hundreds of books written between the 18th and 20th centuries on prose composition, I'm not sure we should be so confident to say that all materials recommend classical authors. And I don't see what this has to do with being a native speaker.
    – user10176
    Sep 29 '21 at 19:28
  • This is just a random idea on my part, but you might argue that in an era where literacy was extremely low that the latin spoken by most people was equal to "plain latin".
    – Adam
    Oct 4 '21 at 2:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy