Homer uses ἀτρύγετος as an epithet of the sea and sky. The etymology has traditionally been taken to be α participle formed from ἀ + τρυγάω, unharvested or barren, but Beekes says this is "formally not easy" and discusses a couple of other possibilities. What is it that doesn't work about this etymology?

If from τρυγάω, the expected form would be ἀτρύγητος, since in such formations the stem vowel is lengthened (and long α becomes η in Ionic). Chantraine tentatively mentions the possibility that ἀτρύγετος might be a shortening of this expected form metri causa, but that would be an irregular development.

• Are there any other instances of eta to episolon made metri causa? I can think of a few instances of quantitative metathesis, but not like this (at least nothing is coming to mind).
    – cmw
    Sep 27 at 3:43
  • @cmw I can't think of any offhand.
    – TKR
    Sep 27 at 4:46
    Thanks! I put a summary it the wiktionary entry: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ἀτρύγετος Sep 27 at 15:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.