Universities in the UK have two distinct titles (among others): "lecturer" and "reader". A reader is more senior than a lecturer but both are below a professor. The US (rough?) equivalents are "assistant professor" and "associate professor".

I would translate both of these words into Latin as lector or lectrix. Perhaps I could translate "lecturer" as lector/lectrix and "reader" as lector/lectrix senior, but I wonder if there is a better way. How do you suggest translating the two titles? Do such translations already exist, canonical or not?

  • When did these distinctions arise? Was it with the first universities or later? Anyway, I guess if there is such a distinction, it is undoubtedly Medieval Latin. update: What if it has to do with the origin of degrees? Both doctor and magister are basicaly persons that teach.
    – Rafael
    Oct 5 '16 at 19:12
  • 1
    @Rafael, I know nothing about the history of this distinction. That would be very relevant. I know of no similar distinction in continental Europe. Nowadays both positions require a doctor's degree, so it would be best not to refer to these positions by either doctor or magister (of any kind).
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Oct 5 '16 at 19:56
  • another difficulty may arise from the fact that professor in Latin does not overlap exactly in meaning with the use they give to it in the UK.
    – Rafael
    Oct 5 '16 at 20:02

According to this dictionary or this one, both are translated by prælector.

Lewis&Short gives then this definition of prælector:

praelector, ōris, m. id., one who reads an author to others and adds explanations, a prelector (post-class.; cf.: lector, recitator), Gell. 18, 5, 6.

Cassel's dictionary proposes scholasticus as a lecturer in the schools, teacher of rhetoric, rhetorician.

And finally, this dictionary accepts professor for lecturer.

  • 2
    I don't think this answers the question, which explicitly asks how to distinguish these two positions in Latin.
    – brianpck
    Nov 9 '16 at 3:05
  • scholasticus/professor seems to be more a lecturer than a reader.
    – Luc
    Nov 9 '16 at 16:28
  • 2
    Here in Cambridge a praelector is something totally different from a lecturer and from a reader. joh.cam.ac.uk/glossary/term/198
    – fdb
    Aug 2 '17 at 22:48
  • Indeed, my answer was only the result of search in dictionaries, so the question still awaits more precise answers…
    – Luc
    Aug 9 '17 at 13:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.