In English, there's a common construction which consists of two coordinated clauses, the first with an imperative verb, the second with a future-tense verb:

Take the first left and you'll find my house.

This is equivalent in meaning to a conditional:

If you take the first left, you'll find my house.

Was this way of paraphrasing a condition also idiomatic in Latin? Are there examples of this construction in Latin authors? It seems plausible to me that one could say Veni cras et me videbis (meaning Si cras venies, me videbis), but I'd like to see some actual examples to be sure.

ETA: brianpck mentions a closely related construction, in which the coordination is with "or" rather than "and", and the equivalent condition has a negative protasis: "Apologize or you'll be sorry!" = "If you don't apologize, you'll be sorry!" I'd definitely also be interested in Latin examples of this (though for some reason I feel less sanguine about their existence).

• Might be worth expanding this to include a related idiom: "Do X or you will Y" = "If you don't do X, you will Y" – brianpck Oct 4 '16 at 23:42
  • @brianpck Interesting -- I've edited to include that. – TKR Oct 5 '16 at 0:22

Torrego 2009 mentions this use in her paper on coordination.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.