Is "herbaria pericula" an accurate translation? What is the grammatically correct way to express "peril herbaria/herbarium of peril"? Compound words

This question is for a name of a work.

I don't think herbarium is classically attested (correct me if I'm wrong, though), but herbaria would be correct if you want it to be plural. If it is indeed plural, then this would be correct:

Herbaria Periculorum

If you want singular, then this:

Herbarium Periculi

• (I only know a little Latin, so maybe that is why I dont understand what "classically attested" means.) Herbarium should be correct singular nominative. I got "herbaria periculosa" when I asked someone else, but is that not "dangerous herbaria"? I am content with plural "Herbaria Periculorum" as in English "herbaria of danger" but still I wonder if Herbaria pericula would be a correct compound word when meaning two equal nominatives, a compound word as in "cat litter". If not, how about "pericoherbaria" as a new creative compound word?
    – tiina
    Sep 7 at 0:01
    Do you prefer the genitive over the adjective periculosus? It might be a choice worth giving and discussing.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Sep 7 at 0:02
    Yes, genitive, since the herbaria or herbarium are/is not dangerous, but it is the herbaria of danger or danger herbaria. As in house of horror or horror house, not horrific house.
    – tiina
    Sep 7 at 0:07
    "but still I wonder if Herbaria pericula would be a correct compound word when meaning two equal nominatives, a compound word as in 'cat litter'" <-- absolutely not. Latin does not roll that way. Sep 7 at 10:57
    @Adam the adjective herbarius, -a, -um is certainly classical. As a book of plants, herbarium occurs in the Institutiones of Cassiodorus (died 585), which mentions (in chap. 31) a Herbarium Dioscoridis, which, however, seems to be a book about plants, with images, not a collection as we would understand the word today. Sep 10 at 16:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.