Someone recently called my attention to a hexameter by Lucilius:

Jānus, Quirīnus "pater" siet ac dicātur ad ūnum.
Janus or Quirinus may be "father"; every single [god] is called this.

And there's something a bit odd about this scansion. The second syllable of Jānus has to scan as light, even though it's followed by another consonant. In other words, the final -s before a stop isn't treated as a coda.

This makes sense to me—phonologically, squ- is a valid syllable onset, as in squālor. But I've never seen this sort of syllabification in metered poetry before: normally, s between a vowel and a consonant is treated as a coda (e.g. -us la- in Aeneid I.2).

How common is this? Does it happen in Classical authors too (or really anyone except Lucilius)? And is there a name for it?

1 Answer 1

The standard analysis of this phenomenon, which shows up in Early or Old Latin poets such as Lucilius and Plautus, is that word-final s was not resyllabified, but rather prone to elision when followed by a consonant (but not when followed by a vowel). Thus, some modern editors choose to omit the letter S and replace it with an apostrophe in such cases. Words whose final s was historically derived from a geminate, such as es (< *es-s) and mīles (<*mīless < *mīlet-s) usually are not scanned short in this manner.

The light scansion of a word-final sequence of short vowel + s can occur regardless of whether the s can form a valid onset cluster with the following consonant(s). For example, "The Problem of the Omission of Word-final -s as Evidenced in Latin Inscriptions", Adamik 2017 (page 13) cites the following example from Adams (2013: p. 132): Ennius, Ann. 377: "nos sumu’ Romani, qui fuimus ante Rudini". Here we see short scansion even though /sr/ does not occur at the start of Latin words.

Some sources discussing this describe the condition for elision more specifically as "word-final s after a short vowel", but I don't see how we'd know whether it did or didn't also occur after a long vowel, since elision in that context wouldn't affect the meter. Michael Weiss apparently shares my skepticism about whether the loss of word-final /s/ was conditioned by the length of the preceding vowel:

I don’t think we can be sure that final -s had a different treatment after long vowels than after short vowel. There can be no metrical evidence as far as I can see. Further non-notation of final -s after a long vowel (see Vine 1993:22) is found in inscriptions at Rome, and not just dialectically—and incidentally Latin inscriptions from the 3rd century are more commonly found outside of Rome.

(OHCGL Addenda and Corrigenda, p. 10)

Interesting! Do you have an example where it doesn't form a valid onset?
    – Draconis
    Commented Aug 26, 2022 at 15:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.