I am a researcher who does not understand the Latin language. Sometimes I need to translate a full journal paper from Latin to the English language. I tried several websites such as Google, Bing, Yandex, and Translateking to translate Latin to English. There are several drawbacks with these online translators such as we cannot translate the full documents or pdf files. Sometimes, it does the imperfect translation. Can somebody suggest a good tool to translate a full document with higher accuracy?

Unfortunately, a good tool doesn't exist. Check out our thread on Google Translate.
    – cmw
    Aug 12 at 14:30
  • Just to have mentioned it: For Ancient Greek, there are (to the best of my knowledge) no tools at all.
    – Canned Man
    Aug 13 at 10:01

Let me write as an answer what was already given in the comment: There is no such tool.

The automatic translation tools are very unreliable with Latin. We have previously explored the case of Google Translate with Latin, and no tool appears to do much better.

The conclusion is: If you need to understand a complicated document written in Latin, you need a person who understands Latin. That person can be you or someone else, but human work is needed, and the machine translation can well be completely useless to that human. There is no shortcut.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.