Pulsus when used with arterium specifically references the beating of the arteries in a person. If I wanted to describe something inanimate as having a pulse, would it make sense to an ancient Roman to use pulsus with another noun? I'm not sure if they would get the meaning in the way we do in English where it retains an allusion to a heartbeat, or if they'd just see it more as a beating of some thing.

Yes, but just be careful that pulsus can mean any sort of beat or rhythm. You'll see it frequently with remorum to mean the rhythm of the oars of a ship, for example.

To make it clear you intend to compare the pulsus of some inanimate object to a heartbeat, I would go a little more on the descriptive side and bring in an actual comparison. For an example, you could see something like pulsus montis quasi intus in eo venae sunt.

I know you've been using Latin as song titles, and in that case the pulsus montis would be only as ambiguous as the English, that yes it could mean heartbeat, but considering mountains don't have hearts, it might mean something else until it is clarified. But that's often the case with song titles, isn't it?

• Awesome - thank you! In my usage the ambiguity is definitely totally fine and is poetic in its own way (in my opinion, anyway).
    – Adam
    Aug 3 at 14:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.