In a comment to this question, JoonasIlmavirta suggests a spin-off question. I have had this question simmering for quite some time, but this is a nice incentive.

Consider the following cross-language table of a question and an answer.

Language Question Answer
EN Can you come over? Coming!
NL Kom je even hier? Ik kom!
DE Kannst Du mal hier kommen? Ich komme!
FR Tu peux venir ici? J'arrive!
IT Puoi venire qui? Arrivo!

The answers are given according to the perspective of the one who asks.

Language Question Answer
ES ¿Puedes venir aquí? ¡Voy!
PT Podes vir aquí? Vou!

The answers are given according to the perspective of the one who answers.

What happens in Latin?

Huc venis? Venio / Eo (?)

• I know there is a table facility, but when I tried to use it, it was displayed all-right in the preview, but not after saving. Feel free to reformat... Jul 19 at 14:32
  • I converted to table formatting. It looks good to me, but let me know if it still looks wonky to you.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Jul 19 at 15:48
  • This was not the question, but the request should rather be veni huc, veni ad me, accede huc, etc. Jul 21 at 18:41
  • @SebastianKoppehel: Of course! I should have realised, knowing that the German translation for "Hinc equitavit" (Carmina Burana) is "Der ist geritten hinnen". Changed accordingly. But why the imperative? Aug 31 at 16:08

The phenomena you see in English, Dutch, German, French, and Italian are called deictic projection, where the speaker projects themself to the place previously referenced (the deixis), speaking as if from there.

According to the Oxford Latin Dictionary, Venio! would fit fine here:

expr. movement to a place where the speaker is, or visualizes himself as being...

As for whether or not ire fits here as well, it doesn't seem to. It can mean come or go "in certain contexts". I think that's primarily due to English, not Latin. That is to say, if ire is translated as "come", it isn't because of the deictic projection that venire has, but rather because it happens to overlap where we in English would say "come" instead of "go".

Because of the fact that venire can be used for the place one anticipates going, I find it unlikely that ire would be used instead, unless to say "I'm heading out" or "I'm going", which is a little different from "I'm coming", giving information about how far you are in coming, not whether or not you're coming.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.