Incipere iterum seems like a very literal way to say "to begin again". Is there a more idiomatic way to say this? For additional context, when I think of this phrase, I think of something cyclic, where it would begin again and again.

• I feel like there should be some good prefixed verb for this, but recipere doesn't seem to have had that meaning, and coepi doesn't generally take prefixes.
    – Draconis
    Jul 16 at 4:48

There is nothing wrong with incipere iterum, you could also say:

• denuo incipere
  • rursus incipere

There are also a number of single verbs encapsulating that meaning:

• repetere, generally “repeat” etc.
  • renovare, literally “renew, restore,” also “repeat your previous words.” Like you can “renew” your efforts in English, it can also be used that way in Latin; e.g. hi nostros disiectos adorti proelium renovarunt (Caesar, De bello Gallico 3,20 – not sure why Perseus thinks it's 18).
  • integrare, beginning again “from scratch, from the start”
  • instaurare, this word seems to be popular with festivities of various sorts (sacrificium, sacra, ludos), but can also be used more generally, e.g. cum in Cn. Dolabellam suum scelus illud pristinum renovavit et instauravit (Cicero, In Verrem 1,4).
  • Out of curiosity, if I said something like Incipere iterum iterumque, would it mean begin again and again and not read strangely?
    – Adam
    Jul 18 at 3:46
  • One more thought: if using the adverb twice with -que makes sense, what about changing the word order to Iterum Incipere Iterumque (or even Rursus Incipere Rursusque)?
    – Adam
    Jul 18 at 3:53
    @Adam iterum iterumque, iterum atque iterum, iterumque iterumque are all attested with the meaning "again and again, repeatedly" according to L&S and Georges. For rursus this does not appear to be the case. Jul 18 at 6:22
  • Ok, thank you! I need to make it a habit to check sources more.
    – Adam
    Jul 18 at 12:56
    @Adam Another great resource is Döderlein’s Hand-book of Latin Synonymes by the way ;-) Jul 18 at 19:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.