I've translated the title "Under the light of the shining star" into Latin:

Sub Lux Astri Lucens

Sub Luce Astri Lucentis

Is this correct? I've not learned participle forms of verbs yet, so I wasn't sure if it was correct in this usage. I'm also open to other vocabulary choices — I went with what would likely be most recognizable to a non-Latin speaker.

• You need to also decline the words according to their case.
    – cmw
    Jul 5 at 15:16
  • Ah, I forgot sub takes the accusative or ablative, and lucens needs to match its noun.
    – Adam
    Jul 5 at 15:29

Original attempt: sub lux astri lucens

Your choice of vocabulary is good, and the word order is natural. What you are missing is some inflection. There is no freedom of choice when it comes to case, number, and gender here.

Rather than giving you the full answer, I will give you a list of specific questions, as I believe this to be most useful for learning. Please leave a comment below if you are unsure of the answers.

1. What should the case of lux be? It comes with the preposition sub.

2. What should the case of astri be? It describes the owner of the light.

3. What should the case and gender of lucens be? It modifies the star. Participles behave just like adjectives when it comes to choosing the correct case, gender, and number.

Updated attempt: sub luce astri lucentis

This is perfect! (See the comments below for the discussion leading to this.)

• Sub uses the accusative when the object is in motion, and ablative when not, correct? How does that work with light? In modern terms, light is in motion so I would use the accusative, but I'm not sure that the Romans would have thought this.
    – Adam
    Jul 5 at 15:31
  • @Adam What do you want to mean with the phrase? Usually it means being under the light. Passing underneath the light would make sense if you wanted to crawl under a projector so as not to disturb the film others are watching, but I can't think of many other reasonable uses. It doesn't matter whether the light moves or not, it's all about the thing under it, whether named or not.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Jul 5 at 15:36
  • Ok, I'm thinking just more generally being under it, so movement isn't really important. I'm not sure how to decline lucens to match astri in the genitive.
    – Adam
    Jul 5 at 15:37
    @Adam I thought so too, so ablative is the way to go. Have you been given a declension table of the participle? Like all present participles, it behaves like a third declension adjective. I assume that when you are introduced these participles, you would be told how to decline it.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Jul 5 at 15:42
    I greatly appreciate this approach - much more helpful for me and for others. Thank you!
    – Adam
    Jul 5 at 16:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.