I think I'm correct when I say:

PAVCVS PLVS LATINE SCIO

little more Latin I know

1 Answer 1

No, that is not correct. “A little more” is paulo plus. (Technically that is a neuter ablative: “by a little.”) You could also say paulum plus (technically an adverb) or paululo or paululum; all these are fine. Another option would be aliquantulo (the deminutive of aliquanto, which means “quite a bit”). Note: all these work with any comparative you throw at them, e.g. paulo minus “a little less,” paulo melius “a little better” and so on.

There would be nothing inherently grammatically wrong with pauco, although, as cmw points out, the singular of that word is relatively rare. Ultimately though, the thing is that the Romans just didn't use it that way.

Knowing Latin is linguam Latinam scire.

More of Latin is plus linguae Latinae.

So I would say:

Paulo plus linguae Latinae scio (quam tu/hodie quam hesterno die/etc.)

And just to add on to this, paucus is "few" and is chiefly found in the plural (like "few things" or "few words" etc.).
    – cmw
    Jul 4, 2021 at 1:33
  • Sebastian Koppehel: In "...hodie quam hesterno die" isn't "quam" omitted in an ablative-of-comparion? The inclusion of "quam" requires the two compared nouns to be in the same case, doesn't it?
    – tony
    Jul 9, 2021 at 14:53
    @tony it's no ablative of comparison, it's an ablative of time. And hodie is not a noun. Jul 9, 2021 at 18:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.