How do you translate to Latin "my work started here"? It is for a plaque on a commemorative bench.

I would write "opus meum hic incepit"

• opus = work, action of working
  • meum = my
  • hic = here
  • incepit = started
    Welcome to the site! Is incipere also used so that the work is the subject? I only recall seeing the worker as the subject, but I certainly haven't seen everything.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Jul 1 at 17:10
    @JoonasIlmavirta It's less common (rare in Classical prose), but it is a thing. See II. under the Lewis and Short definition.
    – cmw
    Jul 1 at 17:24

I would suggest:

Hic opus inii.
"Here I started work."

It is common in classical Latin to use inire for starting a job of some kind (e.g. imperium, magistratum inire). Opus is used for many kinds of work, including works of art. I don't think an explicit "my" is needed here, as the person is clear from the verb.

I like a succinct phrasing like this, and it seems not to suffer from any serious ambiguity either.

Succinctness is one way to go about it, but I instead would opt for formality.

IN HOC LOCO OPVS COEPI

"In this place/on this site I began my work."

The bonus of using coepi is that it recalls annuit coeptis of the Great Seal of the US, which, even if you're not in the US, will still make it broadly recognizable.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.