Using ‘anyway’ to indicate that the previous matter was an aside, or it doesn’t affect the conclusion, for instance, to say: “It was wet and nobody was at the park. Anyway, I went home.”

One option is ceterum, used famously by (some who paraphrase) Cato:

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.
Anyway, I think Carthage should be destroyed.

Some would translate it as "furthermore" or "moreover" here, but "anyway" works too.

• "Anyway" implies Cato was saying in effect - "What I've just said [in our debate about whatever topic] is less important however, than the important issue for Rome - that Carthage should be destroyed." As opposed to furthermore - , "Since I'm speaking I'll also remind us that Carthage should be destroyed". That works since OP specified "I went home" is the important point, but just curious, do we know if Cato thought that? – lessthanideal Jun 13 at 13:20
    @lessthanideal I don't think we have any direct quotes from Cato on that. That's a good question and worth exploring, so I recommend asking a new question about (textual proof of) the nuance of Cato's invention with his repeated reminders. – Joonas Ilmavirta Jun 13 at 13:28
    thanks - asked now over on the History SE history.stackexchange.com/questions/64200/… – lessthanideal Jun 13 at 13:59

Utique.

As Lewis and Short say, utique means, "in any case, at any rate, certainly, surely, assuredly, by all means, particularly, especially, at least, without fail, undoubtedly, etc., = certe, saltem".

Could you use Tamen? "Nevertheless/however" seem to have a bit more of a concessive feel to it, but I feel it works largely the same way. It has the effect of moving past whatever objection or interruption preceded it, which is basically how "anyway" works.

I feel both have the function of "getting back on topic."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.