As governments dread the evolution of a Coronavirus-variant that will not be susceptible to the new wave of vaccines, how would this fear be expressed in Latin?

The Romans, with no concept of vaccination, might have seen a vaccine as a defending thing; requiring a gerund: "defendendum" = "the defending (thing/ agent)"; "paratus ad defendendum" = "prepared for defending".

An (evolutionary) variant, in Latin, could be "progenies, ei" (feminine noun) = "race", "family", "progeny" (Oxford).

In Latin there are rules for dealing with verbs of fearing: if (as is normally the case) the fear relates to the future, the subordinate verb goes in the present subjunctive after a primary main verb or the imperfect subjunctive after a historic main verb.

"imperium timet ne progenies morbi defendendum quod superet." =

"The government fears that an (evolutionary) variant of the disease may/ will overcome any vaccine."

If the fear relates to the present or the past, the subordinate verb, while still subjunctive, will be in the same tense as it would be in English e.g. the perfect sunjunctive for the perfect tense:

"imperium timet ne progenies morbi iam advenerit ut defendendum quod superet." =

"The government fears that a variant of the disease has already arrived, that may overcome any vaccine."

Any thoughts?

EDIT: 19/6/2021:

In the light of Sebastian's comment about the use of "ut" & "quod" in the same clause, the second translation could be:

"imperium timet ne progenies morbi iam advenerit quae defendendum ullum superet.";

where the "quae"-clause relates to antecedent, "progenies".

SECOND EDIT: 22/6/2021:

Using the present participle:

"imperium timet ne progenies morbi iam advenerit quae (rem) defendentem ullum superet."

"vaccine as a defending thing; requiring a gerund" -- a present participle, surely? But seriously, just say vaccinum. Or if that's too modern for your taste, [medicamen] praeservativum. Jun 11 '21 at 19:11
    @tony A concern for me would be that I, at least, do not understand what the ut and the quod are doing in those sentences. Jun 12 '21 at 20:44
    Why not use remedium?
    – Rafael
    Jun 18 '21 at 10:50
    @Rafael: I wanted the verbal part of the gerund--the vaccine is doing something--stopping the virus.
    – tony
    Jun 19 '21 at 11:32
    @tony The gerund does not refer to something that verbs but to the act of verbing. For the former meaning, you want the present participle, which on its own (= used as a substantive) can mean something that verbs. Participles need no obvious referent: e.g., currentem video 'I see someone running', amantes osculantur 'the lovers (= the loving ones) exchange kisses'.
    – Anonym
    Jun 21 '21 at 0:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.