Is the italian town-name "Empoli" related to the greek word "ἐμπολή", meaning merchandise, or gain from merchandise?
I met "εμπολή" in the form of "ἐξεμπολημένων", in Herodotus 1.1.3 "ἐξεμπολημένων σφι σχεδόν πάντων".
I also wonder whether the word "emporium", greek "ἐμπόριον", i.e., trade, is of relevance here.
Sources available to me are unclear on the above, so any help would be really appreciated.

• The Italian wikipedia page has a whole section about the etymology of the name. Long story short: many etymologies, including emporium, limpidus, and in portu, have been proposed.
    – cnread
    Jun 11, 2021 at 16:18
  • You might consult "Storia Di Empoli (Classic Reprint)" ( December 2018) by Luigi Lazzeri, inaccessible to me. But your conjecture appears quite sound, for market, sale: τὰν [δεκάταν δωσεῖ]ν τῷ Ἀσκλ[απ]ιῷ τᾶς ἐμπολᾶς τῶν ἰχθύων... Beekes guesses <IE ? *kwel- . In Catalonia, you could find Empúries ⟶ Ampurias in the same spirit. Jun 11, 2021 at 19:12
  • Indeed, this ref argues the original name Portus was doctored! Jun 12, 2021 at 22:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.