In Sebastian Castellio Gen. 6:19

Eodem etiam de omnibus vita praeditis corporibus coniuga paria inferes, ut tecum in vita supersint. (you will bring there also coniuga paria from all living creatures, so that they live with you)

I believe paria is to mean couples (n; pl. acc.), but I'm not sure of conjuga. according to the dictionaries it seems to be another female form of conjunx, but it doesn't fit here.

Gaffiot gives "conjŭgus, a, um (conjugo), qu’on peut joindre : PRISC. Gramm. 17, 60" (i.e., joinable). Georges also gives this meaning but also says: "= σύζυγος (Apoll. de synt. p. 100, 21 B.)" (whatever that cryptic incantation means), for which see here (but that pertains to modern Greek). May 20, 2021 at 18:47

1 Answer 1

As pointed out in comment by Sebastian Koppehel, According to Georges the adjective conjugus means σύζυγος. This ancient-Greek adjective (a noun in modern Greek) is rendered by Thayer's Greek Lexicon as follows:

yoked together; used by Greek writers (from Aeschylus down) of those united by the bond of marriage, relationship, office, labor, study, business, or the like; hence, a yoke-fellow, consort, comrade, colleague, partner.

par can be used substantively to mean a pair. This pair however does not necessary pertain to a couple in marriage (e.g. par oculorum). So, in this context of animals, the term paria conjuga means, as excepted, pairs of animals each consists of male and female.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.