I think its something with declension, but can't quite wrap my head around why it would be pulcher instead of pulchrus for that phrase.

1 Answer 1

There is no word pulchrus. The word in the masculine, nominative, singular is pulcher, and it is one of the 2nd declension noun and adjectives that end in -er.

There are many adjectives of this type, and some of the most common include: aeger (sick), ater (bad, unlucky, dark), dexter (right, like right-handed), integer (complete, intact), macer (skinny), niger (black), piger (sluggish), ruber (red), sacer (holy), and sinister (left).

For these words, the only place you see the -er is with the masculine singular nominative/vocative. For the rest, the -er is dropped and the root is formed with just the -r-; so you'll have aeger, aegri, aegro, aegrum, aegrae, aegrae, etc.

(There are some exceptions. Some writers kept the -e- in dexter, though it's not as common, and you'll also find sinisterior in the comparative.)

You also have a whole class of words ending in -fer or -ger, like belliger, bifer, dulcifer, and somnifer, as well as a few others, like asper (rough), lacer (mutilated, mangled), liber (free), miser (poor), and tener (soft), for which the -er remains throughout; so belliger, belligeri, belligero, belligera, etc.

There are also a handful of nouns that fall under this pattern, with the most common being ager (gen. agri) and puer (gen. pueri).

Note: Asper, lacer, tener, liber and miser always keep the -e-. May 20, 2021 at 17:29
  • @SebastianKoppehel Thanks, I added them in.
    – cmw
    May 20, 2021 at 17:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.