What would this latin sentence mean : "Prout necessitas ferat atque experientia suffragetur" ? No idea... Note: found in this link

• Welcome to the Community! Have you tried searching for each individual word in a Latin Dictionary? It's great to post a question like this when you need help with a translation, but a good dictionary can help in advance of that - it will help you understand the translation and aid you with other phrases in the future.
    – Adam
    Apr 30 at 15:20
  • Well, I understand "necessitas","ferre", suffragi" etc, but the mix of those words, as presented here, look not understandable to me. "necessitas ferat" or "necessitas fert", for example, what could it mean ? I browsed dictionaries but found nothing. I could understand "experientiae suffragor", but not "experientia suffragetur"...
    – Andrew
    Apr 30 at 16:52

There is an official English translation at the link you provided (labelled "EN" at the top right-hand side), which gives "as need arises and in the light of experience" as the official Vatican translation of this phrase.

Translated overly literally, it means "according as necessity carries and experience counsels".

"experiences are agreed with" ← I think this should rather be: "as experience counsels" Apr 30 at 16:28
    Oops, missed that suffragor is a deponent verb (and it's a singular form to boot!).
    – gmvh
    Apr 30 at 16:36
  • I didn't know verb "ferre" could mean "arise"... The English translation seems to me far apart the real meaning
    – Andrew
    Apr 30 at 17:02
    @Andrew oh, you'd be surprised at all the things ferre can mean... Apr 30 at 18:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.