I found an Indo-European root, nō̆-men-, in the free dictionary.

I know both macron and breve mean the length of vowels. And the Latin word, nōmen, has a long ō.

However, how should I pronounce the vowel with macron and breve simultaneously?

• This question asks about the interpretation of an (reconstructed) Indo-European root, not about Latin language. My best guess is that the reconstruction isn't clear whether the o should be long or short and this uncertainty is expressed by displaying both diacritics. Sep 23, 2016 at 16:10
  • Yes, macron and breve means "this vowel may be short or long" -- either because we don't know which, or because both variants appeared in different forms of the word.
    – TKR
    Sep 23, 2016 at 16:15
  • @jknappen and TKR, Thank you for teaching me the meaning. I want to hear that. Sorry for posting the question to the wrong category.
    – nekketsuuu
    Sep 23, 2016 at 16:30
  • I think the question could be on topic--it's obviously the root of Latin nomen, which has a long -o...
    – brianpck
    Sep 23, 2016 at 16:42

2 Answers 2

Either as a long vowel or as a short one...but linguists aren't entirely sure which.

This root appears in Latin (and other languages) with a long ō, nōmen, but in Greek (and others) with a short o, ónoma. So it's not entirely clear whether the PIE vowel was long or short. We know it was one or the other, but there's not a consensus on which one.

One theory is that it was short in PIE, and became long separately in Indo-Iranian (via Brugmann's Law), Germanic (via Germanic ablaut), and Latin (by analogy with other words: for example, cōgnōmen looks like cognōsco, which is from a separate root with a long ō). But Brugmann's Law is far from universally accepted, and others argue that the root had a long ō which became short in some languages.

• Thank you for teaching me the meaning of the diacritics. And sorry for posting the question to the wrong category. I didn't notice the difference between roots and Latin words.
    – nekketsuuu
    Sep 23, 2016 at 16:40
  • Maybe I should ask this question in linguistics.stackexchange.com instead of here.
    – nekketsuuu
    Sep 23, 2016 at 16:54
    @nekketsuuu, if you think your question would be better at Linguistics (and if the people there agree), it can be migrated there. The question can be related to Latin as well: macron and breve together sometimes mark ambiguity, and the root is related to the Latin word nomen. If you could edit the question a bit to relate it to Latin somehow, it would certainly be on-topic.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Sep 23, 2016 at 17:06
  • @JoonasIlmavirta Thank you for the advice! I edited my question.
    – nekketsuuu
    Sep 23, 2016 at 17:28
    Btw I was surprised by the statement that Brugmann's Law is controversial, so I posted a question about it on Linguistics SE.
    – TKR
    Oct 6, 2016 at 23:14

The linked entry in “the free dictionary” has the lemma as “nō̆-men-“, but then proceeds to claim “oldest form *h1no(h3)-mn̥”. If *h1no(h3)-mn̥ is Proto-Indo-European (PIE) what language is nō̆-men- supposed to be? Surely not Latin? If not, what then is "oldest form" supposed to mean?

The “Leiden school”, as exemplified by de Vaan’s etymological dictionary, posits the PIE form *h3neh3-mn-, zero-grade *h3nh3-mn-. The first laryngeal would explain the initial o- in Greek onoma; the second laryngeal would account for the long vowel in Latin nōmen. This theory relieves us of having to posit an ambiguous vowel in the first syllable.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.