I'm interested in reading some passages from Julius Caesar, so that I can practice my Latin and get a better sense of classical prose. I don't have time to read the entire Bellum Gallicum or Bellum Civile in Latin, but I would like to read some of the more interesting parts.

I'm looking for passages up to 15 lines in length from either of his memoirs. What do you think are some especially moving, insightful, or historically important passages that fit this criteria? If you could give the book and the line numbers, along with a short description, I would be very grateful.

The opening of BG I is a good place to begin. BG V.12 has his description of the inhabitants and V.13 the geography of Britain. BG VII.6 is news of the Gallic uprising and Caesar's decision to return.

The beginning of B.Civ is worth reading for some strong writing.

Is that enough to get you started?

• That's definitely helpful. Thanks. I would be interested in any other feedback as well. – ktm5124 Sep 22 '16 at 18:03
    Agreed that you should start with the beginning of BG if you haven't read it already: Gallia est omnis divisa in partes tres is a rite of passage for Latin learners :) – brianpck Sep 22 '16 at 21:17
    Another section that might interest you is B.Civ Vi, the short chapter where Caesar crosses the Adriatic in pursuit of Pompey. It contains a sentence which some have seen as the origin of the saying "between a rock and a hard place". – Tom Cotton Sep 23 '16 at 15:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.