In expressions e.g. "A change is as good as a rest."; "He was as good as his word."; how is the "as...as" part to be translated?

I've found quid sicut bonum ("Word Hippo"--not the most reliable of sources.) = "as good as".

Among the offered definitions of sicut: "just as"; "in the same way as"; "just as for instance" (Oxford) just about fit.

There does not appear to be a formula for "as...as".

Any thoughts?

The most common choice is the pair tam…quam. For example:

Es tam altus quam Marcus.
You are as tall as Marcus.

Ørberg introduces this fairly early on in LLPSI. I found it to be fairly easy to grasp as an English speaker, particularly when he would use the word order of X (non) tam est quam Y. – Adam Mar 26 at 18:38
  • @Adam: Interesting: we look for things and look for things...I've never seen "tamquam" written as two words before. I recall trying to translate "prius" & "quam" as two words when, of course, it was the one word, "priusquam"! – tony Mar 27 at 9:43
    @tony Usually it doesn't really matter whether you spell pairs together or separate. For example quare = qua re. – Joonas Ilmavirta Mar 27 at 9:49
  • @Joonas llmavirta: I was so frustrated that I recall the sentence: "neque prius fugere destiterunt quam ad flumen. = "They did not abandon to flight until they had reached the river." And "quam" = "how" or "than" did not fit in. Easy when the penny drops. – tony Mar 29 at 12:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.