I know nothing of latin. Just think these words sound cool and could be a good name for the game I've been working on. The game is all about devouring resources to make yourself stronger. You eventually leave the planet void of any resources so I figured devour would be a good concept to go off of

Initial googling showed me that it's Devorandum which sounds cool but other sources are telling me that means food

Welcome to the site! Did you want the word to be from the perspective of the person doing the devouring, or are you telling someone that they should devour stuff? For a good first-person "I devour" example, see this post on translating I came, I saw, I ate. – Adam Mar 25 at 13:49

The Latin word for “devour” is devorare or vorare. Of these, devorare is obviously the root of English “devour.” It is formed from the base vorare and the intensifier prefix de-, which indicates a completeness of action, but as vorare already means “to swallow whole, swallow up,” I honestly do not see much difference in meaning between the two.

Devorandum is a form that can mean a number of things depending on context, and without context it does not mean much. (And certainly not “food,” although “that which is to be devoured” is within range – which, by the way, only sounds so weird because English has no comparable form.) For example, you may have heard the famous quote:

Nunc est bibendum.
Now let us drink.

⋯ which was actually written by Horace, a very famous Roman poet, in the late first century BC (Carmen 1,37). (What was Horace so happy about? The death of Cleopatra.) By analogy you can form:

Nunc est devorandum.
Now let us devour.

Unfortunately that does not make much sense even in English. When we say “now let us drink,” we can imagine what we're supposed to drink—alcohol—and apart from that, drinking is a social activity independent of the exact substance we pour down. Not so with devouring, obviously. The exhortation “let us devour” would only prompt confused stares and the question: devour what? and why?

For your game, I would suggest an imperative. That could be:

• Devora or vora (addressed at one person)
  • Devorate or vorate (addressed at multiple people)

(There is also a so-called “future imperative,” which is used for laws and general precepts. You may have heard of the boy scout motto Estote parati; in the same vein you could say: Voratote. At that point we're in distinctly weird territory though, in my opinion.)

I would play on the theme of the well-known expressions, like 'casus vorandi', or smth like this, based on the verb forms of state.

I've never heard the expression "casus vorandi" before...could you clarify what it means? – brianpck Mar 25 at 14:58
  • Oh, it is follow famous expression 'casus belli', but for the case of the author's synopsis, where something happened to need to devour any piece of the found resource. – T1nts Mar 25 at 15:25
    If we're going down that road, why not: Voro, ergo sum? 🤔 – Sebastian Koppehel Mar 25 at 22:29

Manducus, -i

This is a term from Roman street theatre. 'Manducare' means to chew, and the manducus appears to have worn a mask which chewed and slobbered, part mime, part puppetry. This is a non-speaking part, and as a result there is lots of conjecture and misinformation.

Ainsworth 1753:
Manducus, -i m. A bugbear, or hobgoblin, dressed up in a terrible shape, with wide jaws and great teeth granching, shown at plays. Si recte saltem interpretur Festus locum Plautinum.
"Quid si aliquo ad ludos pro manduco locem?" Rud. 2.6.51

For comparison: Lewis and Short: manducus

I think you misread the question for one who devours, but I think the person meant the verb, for which I actually prefer your own previous suggestion in the linked thread (in Adam's comment under the question). – cmw Mar 25 at 17:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.