I have seen the term familiae Troianae mentioned in Pauly and elsewhere. It has something to do with Roman families and Trojan ancestry, but it seems to be a fixed and well known term: what does it mean exactly? Here it is in Pauly's article on Iulus:

enter image description here

• In which context have you seen that? Is it a classical thing? If you have a use example, that would help me understand what the phrase might do.
    – Joonas Ilmavirta
    Sep 20 '16 at 20:13
  • @JoonasIlmavirta♦: Ah, I came across it in the article about Iulus, but I didn't want to spoil my other question...but I suppose you're right: I've added the context to my question.
    – Cerberus
    Sep 20 '16 at 20:20
    Wikipedia says the following "Such was the fame of the Epic Cycle in Roman and Medieval times that it was built upon to provide a starting point for various founding myths of national origins. The most influential, Virgil's Aeneid, traces the journeys of the Trojan prince Aeneas, supposed ancestor of the founders of Rome and the Julio-Claudian dynasty. [...] a Trojan pedigree was both gloriously ancient and established an equality with the ruling class of Rome."
    – Alex B.
    Sep 21 '16 at 2:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.