Many compounds or derivatives of the Greek word ἅλς hals "salt, sea" seem to be built on the form ἁλι- hali-: ἁλιά(ι)ετος "sea-eagle", ἁλιαής "blowing seaward", ἁλιανθής "sea-blooming" (I saw some others as well).

I'm not sure where the -ι- comes from: since ἅλς seems to have an inflectional stem ending in the consonant λ /l/, I would expect instead to see "*ἁλά(ι)ετος, *ἁλαής, *ἁλανθής".

Is ἁλι- derived from the dative singular form ἁλί, or is there some other source of the -ι-? Or is it different for different words?

Beekes suggests (somewhat cryptically) that the compounding stem hali- is by analogy to i-stem nouns. Another possibility is that hali is an old locative, giving us compounds with inflected vorderglied.

Chantraine thinks it may actually preserve an old neuter i-stem, and gives some comparanda, e.g. Old Latin sale. – TKR Mar 7 at 19:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.