I would like to perform a mea culpa and "admit" that I'd given advice that in hindsight might have been suboptimal as it didn't sufficiently address all possible future outcomes. So calling it a mea culpa is a bit of a stretch and meant tongue-in-cheek.

Since the recipient had stated that they had already chosen a course of action and executed it before I posted my advice, I want to modify the mea culpa to denote that it is imperfect advice after the fact; that it's not my fault because the advice came after the course of action was already taken.

In this case can I label my "admission as an ex post facto mea culpa?

Here is the comment in question for context:

ex post facto mea culpa: I'd advised to post the new question, though the new question had already been posted before I'd answered. Now the old question is reopened. I'd said "we usually try to salvage the question rather than post a new version; that's the norm. But there can certainly be exceptions..." I wonder if this is a good candidate for merging since the answer on the newer one is really good and should have high visibility alongside the answers on the older one? Or perhaps now it's open they can just copy/paste it there?

• A mea culpa is an admission of guilt. By default, the actions behind each one is in the past. You don't need ex post facto. – cmw Mar 7 at 13:33
  • @C.M.Weimer I may not need it yes, but "Can I label..." as such given what I've explained? – uhoh Mar 7 at 13:52
  • Not really. Ex post facto refers to a retroactive effect. Theoretically, an ex post facto mea culpa would refer to your taking the blame for something that wasn't wrong then but only is wrong now. To my mind, that's different from something being wrong then and only now realizing it. – cmw Mar 7 at 14:22
    Oooh, I think I misunderstood the question. In that case, then I can see that indeed being fine. You are retroactively taking the blame. It's a bit puzzling on first glance, but with a short explanation I think it should be fine to use. – cmw Mar 7 at 14:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.