For take it as it goes I have this so far "Ut áuferant eam abscedit" or " Accipiant illam" althought I don't know how accurate either is is.

For go forward in the light I have "procedure ad lucem" or "Procedat lux."

Are there any other translations that would be better? and how valid are my current translations?

Thank you :)

Clarification: Quietly accept what ever happens in stride. and a personal spiritual path with the spiritual light. As an exhortation to one person rather than multiple.

I really appreciate this!

Welcome to the site! Can you elaborate on the intended meaning? Are the two translations your own? They seem so but I'm not sure. The checklist in this meta question is quite useful making a translation question clearer. (Registering your account gives you better access to your post when you want to edit it or react to answers.) – Joonas Ilmavirta Feb 15 at 21:10

Your translations are all a little off:

Ut áuferant eam abscedit means "he/she/it departed that they might take her away"

Accipiant illam means "let them receive her"

procedure ad lucem is gibberish; procedere ad lucem means "to advance towards the light"

Procedat lux means "let the light go forth"

To give a better translation, we would need some supplementary information on what ideas you want to express by those phrases.

One way to say "take it as it goes" could be accidentias accipe – "accept chance events", or accipe fortunam – "accept your luck".

For "ever forward in the light" you could quite literally say semper prorsum in luce.

• I want to express a command from one to another. "Go forward in the light." "Take it as it goes," I am new to semantics and have no general understanding of latin. What information can I provide to help? Thank you for your time – Cameron Griffith Feb 16 at 22:12
  • @CameronGriffith well, but what does "take it as it goes" mean in the intended context? Does it mean something more like "quietly accept whatever happens" or more like "if life hands you lemons, make lemonade"? And what does "light" refer to – physical light? the light of knowledge? spiritual light? And "forward" in which sense? physically marching on? the inexorable march of progress? a personal spiritual path? Those differences in intended meaning could affect how best to translate a phrase into another language. – gmvh Feb 17 at 7:46
  • Quietly accept what ever happens in stride. and a personal spiritual path with the spiritual light. I really appreciate this – Cameron Griffith Feb 17 at 19:20

The other answers give the imperative form—a command—but if you wanted something that works more as an exhortation, you could try the subjunctive.

For the second sentence, try: Excedas in lucem ("go forth into the light")

This is actually historically attested, as Livy (in a periocha) has the following sentence:

vir sapiens laetus ex his tenebris in lucem illam excesserit.
the wise man will go forth from these shadows into that light.

The subjunctive of accipe is accipias, and fatum is a fine enough choice.

Here are a couple of attempts of translation by me. I am assuming that these are self-inspiring words, so the translation will be giving orders to a singular person:

"Accipe datum."

Datum means 'thing (which has been) given.'

Accipe means 'accept.'

One could probably exchange the -um ending on datum for -a, if they wanted to be specific about the plurality of things. I chose the singular because I prefer the -um sound.

"Luce fungere in perpetua."

Luce is in the ablative, here meaning with light.

Fungere is a 2nd person imperative, meaning perform/execute/discharge (duty)/be engaged in.

In perpetua is a set phrase meaning forever/in perpetuity.

Altogether, this phrase means: act with the light in perpetuity.

I could have used plenty of words for do or act, but fungor feels like a more formal word, closer associated with doing one's duty compared to ago for example.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.