Gibbon, at the end of a note detailing the imprinting on a medal, has "(Mus. Reg. Gall.)".

I have found other references outside Gibbon, and have gotten (maybe) as far as "Mus. Regis Galliar.", found here, but no further.

What do the "Mus." and "Galliar." stand for?

Could be Museum Regis Galliarum, the French royal museum where the medals are kept? I don't know which that would be in Gibbon's day, presumably not the Louvre. – Cairnarvon Feb 14 at 0:25
  • Based on a page from another book, it definitely seems to be a reference to some French museum. My guess is either "Regional Museum of France" or "Royal Museum of France." – brianpck Feb 14 at 14:52
  • Presumably it would be Museo Regis Galliarum in that case; it's possible, but I only found one reference to that, and I would expect more (but my expectations could obviously be incorrect). I had found that page from another book, but that just multiplied the references to what I already had, it didn't help me with what the words were. – vr8ce Feb 14 at 17:12
  • Wiki fr has a list of French museums. There are two 'Gaillards.' The commune on the Swiss border has a decorative tower. The Normandy Gaillard has a Royal Castle which is a cultural centre and museum. Select Fr as language choice in the left margin before searching. – Hugh Feb 15 at 21:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.