If I want to say "I do a reading," how would I render that in Latin?

"Ago legendum" or "Legere legendum" Can I do it using a participle?

"Ago lectionem" Can I use the word for a reading like this? If so, what verb do I use to accompany it -- ago?

• As for ecclesiastical Latin, it's perfectly ok to use lectio for a reading. I don't think there's a difference for classical Latin. Thus, lectionem ago/-ere should be ok, but... Why not just lego/-ere? Though I see there's a difference in nuisance, it's been argued that specific verbs are more correct than auxiliary verb+noun
    – Rafael
    Feb 4 at 1:25
    What exactly do you mean by this phrase/in what context do you want to use it? For example, if you mean reading something aloud before an audience, as authors may 'do a reading' from their newest work at a bookstore or some other event, the verb recito will suffice.
    – cnread
    Feb 4 at 5:11
  • @Nickimite: It seems that you need to convert verb "to read" to a noun--"the reading". The gerund! What about "paratus ad legendum" = "prepared for the reading"/ "prepared for the purpose of reading"?
    – tony
    Feb 4 at 11:11
    I'm on board with @Rafael. No need to "do a reading" when you can "read." I tell my students "lege + historiam/scaenam/fabulam" instead of circumlocuting. Feb 5 at 15:00

Seeing that an oratio is quite regularly habita when a “speech is held” in English, I would suggest:

Recitationem (vel lectionem, acroasin, …) habere

Google turns up quite a few—but mostly Neo-Latin—hits.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.