I've tried to search for this phrase, but I haven't found an answer. I looked it up on google translate and it says 'nunquam fecit.' I don't think it's correct.

Almost correct. The most common spelling of "never" in Latin is numquam.

Fecit is the third-person, to get the first person just drop that t: feci

Together you get: Numquam feci.

Now, this corresponds to the act of making something. If you had a fuller sentence, we would be able to tell you if this is the correct idiom to use. Remember that languages are never a simple 1-to-1 correspondence.

ah ok, thanks. the full sentence is ' I have never made a worse journey than this.' does this change anything? – jonathan Jan 21 at 15:36
  • The verb facio basically means to make something physical. To "make a journey" = to "go on a journey" and the verb would be ire. – alephzero Jan 21 at 17:19
    Iter facere, "to make a journey", is a common enough idiom in Latin – Figulus Jan 23 at 15:58
    @jonathan Yes, what Figulus said is correct. So iter numquam feci, "never have I made a journey." Cf. Caesar's, sine ullo maleficio iter per provinciam facere, :to make a journey throughout the province without [committing] any crime" (BG 1.7). – C. M. Weimer Jan 24 at 20:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.