How do I translate "in leviter" in this sentence?

Sensus esse videtur: ne id tantum agite ut alienorum morum censores sitis, ut facta aliorum rigide ad legem divinam exigatis & notetis, adeoque in leviter delinquentes tanquam atrocium criminum reos severe animadvertatis.

Here's what I have:

The sense seems to be: do not act merely that you may be critics/censors of other's behavior, may rigidly examine and record the doings of others according to the divine law, and thus severely criticize light offenders as guilty of atrocious crimes.

"In" as a preposition ought to take an ablative or accusative, but I don't see what object it takes. "In leviter" literally seems to mean, "in lightly," and so I translated it just "light." How does this translation work here?

The in doesn't go with the leviter. It is in delinquentes animadvertatis, and leviter just adds detail into delinquentes. The verb animadvertere (especially II.C) can take in with accusative in judicial uses in classical Latin, and therefore one might expect the same in medieval Latin.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.