Salvete! My friend who loves Latin is sick and I want to tell him "Get well soon!" in Latin. Is sanesco the right verb to use here? Should I use the present or the future imperative (mox sanesce/sanescito)?

Gratias vobis ago!

The verb sanescere sounds good, although it seems to be quite rare. (What do I have to read in Lewis & Short? Post-Augustan? Fie!) The usual term is convalescere. You can say mox sanesce for sure, but it sounds a bit like an overly literal translation, does it not? I would prefer something like:

Fac quam primum convalescas.
Please recover as soon as possible.

On the other hand, your Latin loving friend might appreciate it if you went for a full-blown Cicero quote like this (Epistulae ad familiares 16,11):

Modo fac, id quod est humanitatis tuae, ne quid aliud cures hoc tempore, nisi ut quam commodissime convalescas.
I only ask – you owe it to your humanity – that you do nothing else now but take care that you recover as fully as possible.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.