If I understood right the Locative is mostly to be formed in singular (e.g. domi, ruri, ...). Some websites say that we just use the same form as the genitive, some websites say that we use the genitive in 1st and 2nd declension and the ablative in 3rd declension.

That fits if we look at humus (humi, genitive), bellum (belli, genitive) and also cities like Carthago (Carthagine / Carthagini, ablative).

But then I was confused as I found locatives like ruri (dative), tempori (dative) and luci (dative).
What about them?

The general rule is that the locative is formed like the locative. It's a separate (if moribund) case, not a series of special uses of the more common cases.
    – Cairnarvon
    Jan 2 at 21:08
    So there is no real regularity for those few Locatives that are left?
    – Cyb3rKo
    Jan 2 at 21:41
  • Sihler (276.6) says that ruri was made on analogy. I imagine a similar thing is going on with tempori, because tempore also works. Sometimes sound changes can be irregular.
    – cmw
    Jan 2 at 22:21
    I don't know. So every locative of a city is regular?
    – Cyb3rKo
    Jan 2 at 22:43
    @Cyb3rKo As far as I know, yes, but if there is an irregularity, it doesn't necessarily go back to a proto-language.
    – cmw
    Jan 2 at 23:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.